Having a palm tree is fun as you will enjoy a beautiful landscape, shade, and most importantly, a palm tree will add value to your property. However, a lovely palm tree comes with responsibilities, and that is where you need to do palm tree pruning. When it comes to palm tree pruning Brisbane, you can either hire an expert or do the pruning yourself. The choice to hire a professional palm tree pruning expert or to do it yourself will depend on your preference, stage of growth of your palm tree, your DIY skills, and also your budget. However, if you decide to go the DIY way, then consider the tips mentioned below.
Pruning your backyard palm trees is something that you need to do regularly as far as you need to have beautiful trees and if you care about the safety of your family. Pruning will keep your palm tree healthy, safe, beautiful, and will make you look like a responsible owner. However, note that if you are dealing with a huge palm tree, it is advisable not to attempt the pruning and hire a professional palm tree pruning expert.
For palm trees that are of average size and requires less pruning, you can handle such a pruning project, and there is no need to hire an expert. However, with palm trees, you should only attempt pruning if you can reach the fronds from the ground. Otherwise when the palm tree becomes big, and you need to use a ladder, be careful as you can fall and suffer permanent damage. For such pruning projects, a professional will do it better.
Here are tips to use when pruning your palm trees:
- Start by cutting decayed fronds that are structurally weak. These are fronds that seem dead and those that look weighty.
- For newly grown palm trees, leave the useful fronds untouched and prune only from the first 2 to 3 layers.
- After the first couple of years, a palm tree tends to grow rapidly. At this stage, eliminate fronds that start to space out about 12 to 18 inches.
- To prune your palm tree efficiently, remove decayed branches while keeping the wood intact. A general rule applied to palm tree pruning is to cut on the fronds side of the stem collar.
- Palm trees heal their pruning wounds on their own so do not attempt to put wound dressings to seal the cut.
When you consider the above tips, you will realise that pruning your young palm tree will not be a problem. However, if you are dealing with a huge palm tree or if you do not have the time or the skills to do the pruning, you can hire professional palm tree pruning Brisbane and have your palm tree pruned professionally with no room for mistakes.